Friday, April 3, 2009

Barger Botetourt Fishing Tour



My good friend Dave Barger invited me on a fishing trip yesterday and God's beauty was all around us despite the rainy conditions.
We headed up 220 North and visited Craig Creek. This was my first view of this little creek and it was absolutely immaculate and crystal clear. I slipped on the waders and was pleased to find a rocky bottom. A slight drizzle came down but it didn't diminish the thrill of wading a new watering hole. Dave was trying minnows and I was using a #2 Mepps Aglia spinner silver with an orange targeting spot. Neither one of us got any bites.
I can't give good directions after that first spot but I do know we hit Roaring Run then the James River at a very good entry point over some railroad tracks. I do remember there was a Gas company nearby. Excellent wading there at the James. Dave caught an orange breasted bream and followed it up with a nice 10 inch smallmouth. Both were caught on nightcrawlers. I enjoyed the spot but remained fishless for the day.
Our last stop was Catawba Creek. It was my favorite spot of the day. It followed the pattern of rapids then deep holes. About 200 yards upstream I found a deep hole and reeled in my first fish of the day. Some folks call it a river jack or a fall fish. (I've attached a picture so you'd know what they look like. It's not the actual fish) I followed that up with a 10 inch smallmouth and a 6 inch one. It felt good not to get skunked. Great day.

Lures/Bait: Used a bit of everything... Nightcrawlers, Minnows, Mepps Aglia 2 Silver, Mepps Aglia 3 with brown bucktail and Gulp Spray. (caught all three fish on the bucktail)

Count for the Day: 3 Cumulative Count: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment